Sunday, May 10, 2009

May Devotional-Do not fear, for I am with you


Do not fear, for I am with you

When you wake up in the morning, are you ever gripped with fear? Sometimes fear of the unknown will clutch our heart and flood our mind as we face the loss of a job, loss of a home, a serious illness, a major life change, or even loneliness.

Satan will use every opportunity to rob us of trusting God. He will use the fear in our lives to discredit the power of God to handle our situations. If we let Satan have a foot hold in our day, fear can be all-consuming and play havoc with our emotions.

Fear is not of God. “For God has not given us the spirit of fear...” (II Timothy 1:7) All through the Bible, two little words “fear not,” encourage us and reassure us that we can trust God, regardless of our situation.

In Isaiah 41:10, we are reminded why we need not fear. “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, surely I will uphold you…” The words, “I am with you” are comforting because we are assured that we are not alone. God’s presence is with us. The words, “I am your God” are a reminder that He is our personal God. He cares about every detail of our lives.

There are five reasons in Isaiah 41:10 why we should not give in to fear and discouragement:

1. I am with you.
2. I am your God.
3. I will strengthen you.
4. I will help you.
5. I will uphold you.

The next time you wake up in the morning, or in the middle of the night, and you are gripped with fear--take a deep breath, count to five, and repeat God’s personal promises to you!

Scripture to Remember: Isaiah 41:10 (see above)

Question to Consider: Am I living in fear?

Prayer: Lord, help me to remember the words, “fear not” when I find myself sinking in the despair of worry and discouragement. I release my fears to you, Lord. I will trust you in every situation I am facing. Amen

Thought for the Day: Today, I will dwell on the five reasons I should not give in to fear and discouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment