Friday, August 5, 2011

Devotional-Aug 2011

Providing roots in Christ for your children

One of the greatest gifts you can give your children is a Christian foundation in which their roots can grow deep in the love of Jesus Christ. To be anchored in Christ is a basic security our children need for any transition in life. When they grow up, children will take with them the knowledge of Christ, which has been deeply rooted within. Sometimes they might take the wrong path in life, but our loving God always welcomes them back with open arms.

Here are some scriptures to guide you:

Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6)

And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart; and you shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. (Deuteronomy 6:5-7)

So I have also dedicated him to the Lord; as long as he lives he is dedicated to the Lord. (1 Samuel 1:28)

As you provide roots in Christ for your children, the next seven steps are vital to a strong foundation:

Principles of faith. Base your values on the word of God. (Colossians 2:6-7)
Pattern of life. Strive to live a life worthy of imitation that models God's design. (Ephesians 5: 1-2)
Persistence that is immovable. Don't give up. Don't let anything move you from what you believe. Be strong in your faith. (Ephesians 6:10, 14)
Participation. Feel what your children feel. Laugh when they laugh. Cry when they cry. Learn with them. (Romans 12:15)
Praise. Encourage them. Believe in them. Sing to them when they are small. Sing with them when they are grown. (Philippians 4:4-5)
Prayer. Let them see you pray, hear you pray, and watch you give God the credit for the results. (Philippians 4:6)
Planning. It's never too late. Plan on giving them roots and wings! (Isaiah 40:31, Deuteronomy 32:11)
(Excerpted from Susan Miller's book After the Boxes are Unpacked...)

Scripture to Remember: Choose one from above

Question to Consider: Which step(s) do you need to pass on to your children?

Prayer: Lord, I want to give my children a strong foundation in you. The best way I can do that is to model you in my actions, my words, and the choices I make. I know there will be days I will take three steps forward, and two steps back. Don't let me get discouraged. Walk with me, talk with me, and help me to keep my focus on you. Amen

Thought for the Day: Today I will model you, Jesus, in all I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment