Saturday, June 25, 2011

Susan's Heart Talk-June 2011

Dear Friends,

My daughter, Ginger, texted me with these words, "Savannah (my eight year-old granddaughter) says you're famous Mom!" My first thought was, what does she mean by ‘famous?' My next thought was, what have I done to be famous in her eyes? I read on in excitement and anticipation. "There's a picture of you and Savannah on Grandparent's Day in the school yearbook!"

When I called Ginger to get the scoop, she said Savannah ran in the house after school, waving her yearbook as she yelled in glee, "Look! Here's Nana's picture, with me!" I couldn't help but smile as I remembered back to Grandparent's Day, and how I reluctantly slipped off from a busy schedule at work to go to Savannah's third-grade celebration for all the students' grandparents. The kids made cupcakes for all of us, and the teacher took pictures of each child and their grandparent. It was a really big deal, and a really big day. I remember thinking when I left the school how glad I was that I made the effort to go. I can't recall the work I was doing that day at the office, but I vividly recall the smile on Savannah's face, and the tight hug she gave me when I walked into her classroom. And to think, I almost let a full schedule, a busy day, and a thirty minute drive keep me from going....

What about you, my friend? Have you ever almost missed a memorable moment with your children or grandchildren because life got in the way? I can't begin to tell you all the times over the years that I did miss out because of my own crazy agenda and full calendar.

As summer begins, thank goodness schedules relax a little, time is somewhat more flexible, and the busy rhythm of life slows down a beat or two. Seize the moment to make memories with your children, grandchildren, family, and friends. Here are some tried and true suggestions from my own family summers that have made memorable moments for each of us.

Listen to one another. (You'll learn stuff.)
Laugh a lot. (You can even be silly.)
Play board games.
Plan some outdoor activities.
Camp out in the backyard or make a tent with sheets inside.
Work on a project or a craft together.
Go on a picnic. (Sit on a blanket, not at a table.)
Go to a park. (Don't just sit there and watch-swing!)
Bake or prepare a meal together. (It's okay if the kitchen gets messy.)
Have a family movie night, with popcorn and lemonade. (Sit down and watch the movie too. Discuss it together afterwards.)
Ride bikes.
Dance and sing.
Don't forget to take lots of pictures together. Put them in a photo album so you can all be ‘famous' for the summer of 2011.
Be safe as you travel, my friends. Stay in touch with a card, an email, or a Facebook update telling us what you're doing or where you're going. You are never far away from my heart, and my prayers.

From My Heart to Yours,
Susan Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment