Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Monthly Devotional- Sept 2009

Stepping Out In Faith This Fall...
Sometimes when you are new in town, it’s easier, and more comfortable to stay put in your house, or in front of the TV, or even on the computer. "After all, I don’t really know anyone," you tell yourself, "and it takes so much effort to walk into a room of strangers at a Bible study, or to go anywhere unfamiliar. It’s easier, a lot less intimidating, and not as scary, to just stay where I feel comfortable," you think.
Yes, that would be the safest place to stay. Peter probably thought the same thing too. (Matthew 14:22-32) You can imagine him saying, "It’s scary to get out of the boat, in unfamiliar waters. Besides, look at the wind and the waves! I’d rather stay right here!" Peter’s focus was on the wind and the waves, not on Jesus, his Savior. Your focus might be on the circumstances around you too, along with unfamiliar territory, and all the unknowns that come with being new in town. In fact, you might even feel terrified since you moved!
"Take courage! Don’t be afraid," Jesus said to the disciples. "It is I... Come," He said. Peter got out of the boat, and came towards Jesus. Here is where Peter’s focus shifted from his Savior to the storm around him. He was afraid and began to sink. He cried out to the Lord, "save me!" and Jesus reached out His hand and caught Peter. Then Jesus said, "You of little faith, why did you doubt?"
Why not step out in faith right now? Join that Bible study, go to that neighborhood party, take that class you’ve always wanted, invite someone over for coffee. Get out of the boat, one step at a time. You can do it. Just keep your focus on Jesus. Reach out and take His hand, and begin to walk towards Him.
Scripture To Remember
v.24-31 ...but the boat was already a considerable distance from land buffeted by the waves because the wind was against it... Jesus went out to them, walking on the lake. When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified... But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid." "Lord, if it’s You," Peter replied, "tell me to come to You on the water." "Come," he said. Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, Lord, save me!" Immediately Jesus reached out His hand and caught him, "You of little faith," He said, "why did you doubt?"
- Matthew 14:22-32
Question To Consider
What is the "boat" you are in (fear, comfort, relationships, health, success, security) that is keeping you from stepping out in faith and trusting God?
Prayer
Oh God, I am so afraid, and I struggle to take that first step towards You. Give me courage to say "yes" to your call. Help me to step out this Fall and do what I could never do on my own. Amen
Thought for the Day
Today I will step out of my boat in faith and experience the power and the presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment